Friday, May 8, 2009

Poetry Friday: Memory

Well the Write Sisters were presenters this morning at the New Hampshire Educational Media Association annual meeting, which was great fun, and got me up and out fairly early . . . and I forgot to do a poetry blog!

But I forget so many things these days - is it age, or is it overload? Or both? And so, better late than never - a poem by Thomas Bailey Aldrich which I quite like, entitled, simply,


Memory

My mind lets go a thousand things,
Like dates of wars and deaths of kings,
And yet recalls the very hour --
'Twas noon by yonder village tower,
And on the last blue noon in May--
The wind came briskly up this way.
Crisping the brook beside the road;
Then, pausing here, set down its load
Of pine-scents, and shook listlessly
Two petals from that wild-rose tree.

Poetry Friday is being hosted this week by Anastasia Suen:
http://6traits.wordpress.com/ess.com/

3 comments:

Diane said...

Ah, lovely.

Thomas Bailey Aldrich is one of ours--New Hampshire, through and through!

--Diane

Sally said...

Absolutely correct - I meant to mention that but got totally bollixed up in trying to get the line-spacing to work and forgot!

Julie said...

That's lovely! "The last blue noon of May...." My memory seems to work the same way Aldrich's does!