Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Women of Wednesday--Bosom Buddies

There have been many women whose battle with breast cancer is fought in the public eye--Elizabeth Edwards and Melissa Etheridge are just two. Most women, however, fight the battles away from the spotlight, but with the help of family and friends.

I'm a survivor myself. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I made it through with the loving support the Write Sisters provided me during surgery, chemo, and radiation. They went above and beyond the call of a critique group when they accompanied me to purchase a wig! I'm eternally grateful.

This past weekend I attended the American Cancer Society's "Making Strides against Breast Cancer" walk in Manchester, NH. I've been suspicious of some of the "Run/Walk for the Cure" type events in the past because I was afraid that "the cure" meant more drugs and more chance for Big Pharma to make a killing (no pun intended) at the expense of women. I have a hunch, though, that the money raised in NH goes to provide NH women with support, like rides to treatment centers, and even hugs where needed. As of Monday, the total raised was $290,000 with more expected to come trickling in.

The walk this year, took place in the middle of a nor'easter that included rain, wind, and at points, SNOW. It was colder than a witch's you-know-what, but my heart was warmed by the numbers of people who showed up. Below are a few of the photos I took before my batteries ran out.

The weather's looking a little uncooperative!


Despite the weather the crowds came.


The Fisher Cats scoreboard flashed messages and photos from last year's walk. We attended last year, but we were still quite surprised to see our picture on the big screen!


Nice socks!


These lovely young women gave hugs freely!


There are seven of us Write Sisters, and of the seven, three of us have had breast cancer. So much for odds of 1 in 8!

I'll conclude with a HOPE that if you're a woman, you'll be faithful in getting a yearly mammogram, and with a WISH that if you do get breast cancer, that you'll have a group of bosom buddies as faithful as the Write Sisters!

(Note: Muriel alerted me to the organization Army of Women, which works for the prevention of breast cancer. Thanks, Mur, I've joined the Army.)

--Diane

3 comments:

Andrea Murphy said...

Great post and great cause. Thanks, Diane.

Andy

Mur said...

Awesome, Diane! And great photos!

I'm Jet . . . said...

Ditto, D!

J