Friday, January 13, 2012

Poetry Friday: Canis Major

The great Overdog,
That heavenly beast
With a star in one eye,
Gives a leap in the east.

He dances upright
All the way to the west
And never once drops
On his forefeet to rest.

I'm a poor underdog,
But tonight I will bark
With the great Overdog
That romps through the dark.


                        -- Robert Frost



Tara is a sixth grade teacher in NJ, and I'm sure she's happy as heck it's Friday. Check out today's PF offerings at her blog A Teaching Life.

I know this poem has made appearances at Poetry Friday shindigs before. Still, it's always good to review! For a cool analysis, check out Kelly Fineman's Canis Major post here.

That's my boy, Cooper. He and I are happy it's Friday, too. Tonight, we'll be doing our share of leaping, dancing, barking, and romping . . .

9 comments:

Mur said...

Love the poem, Jet, and love the pic of Cooper!

Andrea Murphy said...

Frost always pleases and surprises. Love the picture of your beautiful boy, Janet!

KURIOUS KITTY said...

Great poem! I never would have guessed it was Frost--seems too uncomplicated!

Linda B said...

I don't know this poem by Frost, so must have missed it earlier. Your dog looks like a wonderful pet & love the name! Enjoy your Friday!

Katya said...

That's a Frost poem I don't know -- but it might be a good candidate for my son to memorize. I think he will love it since he loves both dogs and astronomy.

Ruth said...

Robert Frost wrote this? Wow! He is full of surprises! Thank you for sharing it.

Robyn Hood Black said...

I'm in the "I can't believe I didn't know this poem" camp - thanks for sharing! I think each of my dogs would refer to himself as "Canis Major..." - much more impressive-sounding than canis familiaris. ;0)

Mary Lee said...

Here's another blogger chiming in with "I didn't know that RF poem!" So, you see, you should always trust your instincts and post the poem you want to post -- it'll be new to SOMEBODY out there...and maybe to LOTS of us!!

I'm Jet . . . said...

That was fun! Thanks for chiming in everyone!

Jet