Friday, April 22, 2011

Poetry Friday




THURSDAY

And if I loved you Wednesday,
Well, what is that to you?
I do not love you Thursday–
So much is true.

And why you come complaining
Is more than I can see.
I loved you Wednesday,–yes–but what
Is that to me?

~~Edna St. Vincent Millay



Edna St. Vincent Millay was a poet, a playwrite and a Pulitzer Prize winner. She was also a lyricist, a feminist, and a political activist. For more on her life and work, click here and here.

For more great poetry, head over to Book Aunt and get lost in a garden of verse.

3 comments:

Mary Lee said...

I love you Friday,
You are my favorite day of the workweek.
And if I love Saturday more tomorrow,
Well, what is that to you?
You're gone, and you won't be back
For days and days to come.


(obviously, I misread Edna's poem the first time around! When I figured her out, I still liked my misreading better!)

I'm Jet . . . said...

Oh, Mary Lee! Interesting . . .

Tabatha said...

How fun to have Edna's version with Mary Lee's! It's like Dorothy Parkeresque.