Sunday, August 9, 2009

Sunday Sharing--King Arthur

Have you been through a King Arthur phase? Is it something a writer goes through--like a 5 year old boy goes through a dinosaur phase, or a 10 year old girl goes through a horse stage?


I went through my Arthur phase many, many years ago. I read the Arthur retellings by modern writers and I fell in love with Steinbeck's The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights. I wonder how much more he could written if he hadn't passed away? I truly mourned the fact that there wasn't more from Steinbeck.

In the grip of Arthuritis, I seriously considered naming my first child Sir Gareth of Orkney. Sir Gareth was my favorite knight.


Merrily Gareth asked,
"Have I not earned my cake in baking of it?
Let be my name until I make my name!
My deeds will speak: it is but for a day."
Fortunately for my son, I was beyond my Arthur stage by time he was born!

If you'd like to revisit the world of Arthur, or discover it for the first time, check out King Arthur & the Knights of the Round Table. It's a quick tour of all things Arthur. A less visually appealing site, but a bit more in-depth is The Camelot Project at the University of Rochester.

--Diane

4 comments:

Lady Barbara said...

Ah, who wouldst have thought a maiden so fair had interest in the mighty deeds of King Arthur and his brave knights? But ye are wrong in thinking Sir Gareth a great man, my lady. Verily, I say, it was Mordred, Mordred the murdered, who wast the greatest of them all.

As for Sir Steinbeck, ‘twas his turtle I shall always remember most.

Diane said...

Who are you? And what have you done with our Barb?

Diane said...

And besides, who said anything about being great? The guy could cook!

I'm Jet . . . said...

Barb walks on the dark side . . .

I, too, was gripped by Arthuritis. Introduced by Mary Stewart's trilogy that started with The Crystal Cave.

Jet