Friday, June 25, 2010

Poetry Friday: There's Rage in that Water

So sorry to be Debbie Downer, but I cannot get the Gulf of Mexico oil spill out of my mind. I fear we've passed a tipping point. I have no other words this Poetry Friday. I'll let Robert Frost speak for all the shattered and yet-to-be shattered people and creatures. Someone had better be prepared for rage . . .

Once by the Pacific 
by Robert Frost

The shattered water made a misty din.
Great waves looked over others coming in,
And thought of doing something to the shore
That water never did to land before.
The clouds were low and hairy in the skies,
Like locks blown forward in the gleam of eyes.
You could not tell, and yet it looked as if
The shore was lucky in being backed by cliff,
The cliff in being backed by continent;
It looked as if a night of dark intent
Was coming, and not only a night, an age.
Someone had better be prepared for rage
There would be more than ocean-water broken
Before God's last Put out the Light was spoken.  

This week's Poetry Friday is being hosted by New Hampshire's own Amy Graves over at The Art of Irreverence Thanks, Amy!

5 comments:

Barbara said...

Ah! It's not nice to fool Mother Nature!

Sally said...

Wow - what an intense poem. I didn't think there was any Robert Frost I hadn't read, but this one is new to me. . . .

Tabatha said...

Nice (and tragically-timely) pick. I will save this poem to read again. Thanks for sharing it!
Tabatha

Andrea Murphy said...

I love what they're doing at Ripple, Diane. Some of those sketchcards are gut-wrenching.

Barb, you made me laugh. It took me a minute to remember what that commercial was selling. Margarine, right?

Sally, I'd never read this particular Frost poem either. I thought it was perfect.

Janet, I'm with you with the raging thing.

Tabatha, Thanks for dropping by. Tragic timing, indeed. (I mean the poem, not that you dropped by. ;) Welcome!

Mary Lee said...

Rage indeed. And breaking -- lots of hearts...