Friday, December 26, 2008


POETRY FRIDAY


A CHRISTMAS CLASSIC?

Three things say Christmas to me.

That first whiff of a live Christmas tree.
Hearing the first Christmas carol of the season.
And the Grinch.

I was at my Mom’s for Christmas, and all us adults were in one room talking, and all the kids were running around the rest of the house, when all of a sudden, something caught my ear.

You’re a mean one, Mr. Grinch
You’re a nasty, wasty skunk!

One of the kids had put on the cartoon version of How The Grinch Stole Christmas.

It sucked me in. It always does. I wandered into the living room, sat down amidst the kids, and watched. And then I found myself narrating aloud along with Boris Karloff. The kids were amazed. I wasn’t. It happens every time I watch it. It’s not a conscious thing. It just happens. I can’t help myself.

Now, some of us may consider Dr. Seuss a poet, some of us may not. But it’s the day after Christmas, and the story rhymes. (Not to mention the fact that it uses a great villain to talk about the power of love, which ties rather neatly into my other two posts this week.)

So, if you have any kids in your life, find the book and read it to them this week. Or any week. Or pop in the video or DVD. And if you don’t have kids, or you don’t celebrate Christmas, read it just because. Here's a bit.

HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS

Every Who Down in Whoville
Liked Christmas a lot . . .
But the Grinch,
Who lived just North of Whoville,
Did not!

The Grinch hated Christmas!
The whole Christmas season!
Now, please don't ask why.
No one quite knows the reason.

It could be that his head
wasn't screwed on quite right.
It could be, perhaps,
that his shoes were too tight.

But I think that the most
likely reason of all
May have been that his heart
was two sizes too small.


Happy Holidays!


Note: the Poetry Friday Round-Up takes place this week at the Miss Rumphius Effect.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good one, Barb! And as I started reading, I couldn't help but think back to your earlier post about villains. That's why yours in your work are so bad . . . they're good!

J

Anonymous said...

I love how the detail about the size of his heart comes back around later. And the last can of Who Hash. And how the Grinch himself carved the Roast Beast. And so many other bits from the movie (moreso than the book). I have the Grinch song on my iPod (sung by Tony the Tiger, whose real name eludes me at present). Thanks for this post.